Sunday, December 12, 2010

My first wishlist

I have been using the Cr48 for several days now, and overall I am still pleased for what it is. Yesterday I used the device all day long off and on and did not reach a critical battery level until late last night. The battery icon appears to go red once below 15%. Battery life is very good. Yesterday was also the first time I had used the Verizon 3G service. I used it while testing the webcam and uploading a video to Youtube. A 1:34 video consumed 45 meg of the alloted 100 meg monthly service. So that meager allotment might work well for email and text, but once you start handling video it will go quickly. Another thing I noticed about the Verizon service was that the account status shows that it expires on January 7, 2011. According to the documentation with the CR48, there is a  two year free period of service of 100 meg a month. I will have to investigate that further to see what is going on.

So here a few things that I hope the Chrome OS development team will address.

  • File access to external USB and SD storage. How else will one upload photos or documents to the cloud without this? I hope this will be a priority
  • I use Sprint for my Android phone service, and I would prefer to use that for 3G also, especially when I go to an higher data allotment. I hope there will be a way to have these devices provisioned with another carrier.
  • Tether support for Android phones.
  • Bluetooth support.
  • A specification list in detail of the hardware in the CR48. I am curious about the processor type, internal RAM, SSD capacity etc.
Yesterday I also picked up my first accessory for the CR48. I purchased at a local Wal-Mart the Targus Phobos Netbook Sleeve for 17$US. It has a black crinkled cloth finish on the outside and a olive green soft cloth inner lining. It's inside dimensions are 11.7x1.5x8.3 so while not a perfect fit, I think the snug fit will be adequate for my needs, The model number for the this Sleeve is TSS136US.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments / questions.