Friday, December 10, 2010

Adding a few apps and extensions

While feeling my way around on this new notebook, I have looked at lot of apps and extensions in the Chrome webstore. I needed a screen capture utility, and had mixed success in that pursuit. I was unable to load the Google Screen capture, with it returning a Extension Installation Failure message. This message is pretty vague and with no good options to remedy the error I tried another. Next was Webscreen capture extension. This would install and capture but would give and error when trying to save to a file. The option to email the capture did work. The editing tools included with this extension were also limited, so I uninstalled it and looked further. I finally settled on Aviary Capture utility extension. This one seemed to have the necessary requirements and fully funtionally for me,

A second extension that I felt I would need was Web forwarding tool. Something that would allow me to immediately send a url to a variety of locations. The Google share button extension seemed the right choice. It would allow to send to a multitude of destinations like Blogger, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and many many more. This one installed with out any problems and seems to work just as needed.

Another handy tool I use frequently is a calculator. After searching the Chrome Webstore I went with one called Mini Calculator extension. It works flawlessly, dropping out of the tool bar when needed, and retains the last calculation. That was just what I was looking for.

Since this notebook is more of an internet appliance, my application list will probably not be very extensive. The NYTimes app was highly rated, and after loading and playing around with it, I will be keeping it. It provides an attractive news interface and very easy to use. This is not merely a web shortcut but a well developed application that  makes a very usable interface for a news reader.

The NPR for Chrome app also caught my eye. Again this one is highly rated and was well thought out during development. One of the features I appreciate the most with it, is the ability to cue up several of the podcasts and listen to those in the background.

I also felt the need for a Image Editor of some type. The web based Advanced Image Editor by Aviary seems to have all the tools that I will need, and I have used it before. It installed easily worked as it should the first time. It also ties in with the Aviary Screen Capture if need be.

One last thing I changed today was to add an additional theme. I went with a fairly simple one, choosing Chrome Professional Theme. Its not flashy or colorful, but has nice contrast and well defined features.

All of these items were installed directly from the Chrome Webstore, and all were free. There are plenty of apps and extensions that you can pay for, and some of those may surpass what I have chosen, but I prefer to go with free software whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments / questions.